Choose well, when you're worried sick
Prepare to choose well, when you’re worried sick
When your child is sick, you’ll move mountains to get them the best care. As an adult, you also want to make sure you are getting the right care in the right place at the right time. Thinking about what you might do and preparing NOW can help you cope better with likely medical situations.
Plan ahead checklist
- Ask your GP about an after-hours service or find your closest after-hours GP.
- Ask your GP about setting up your digital My Health Record, it’s particularly important in an emergency.
- Find out the location of your nearest emergency department and practice getting there.
- If you will need someone to look after children or dependants, have their phone number handy.
- If you will need a translator, have their phone number handy.
- Take the following with you to the emergency department:
- Medicare Card (make sure it’s up to date)
- Child’s Purple Book (WA Health Personal Record)
- Medication packaging, x-rays, test results
- Notes about your and your child’s medical conditions